Lynton to Porlock via Exford
A lovely drive to Porlock through some of Exmoor’s most remote and beautiful moorland.
This image is taken from Google Maps. Click here to view the full directions in Google Maps
- Leave Highcliffe House and take the main B3234 to Barnstaple, driving through Lynbridge and Barbook.
- When you reach the T-junction where the B3243 joins the A39, turn left towards Simonsbath. Check if you need fuel, this will be the last fuel station you will see for a while.
- Follow the A39 towards Hillsford Bridge, then cross the bridge onto the B3223 towards Simonsbath.
- Drive along the B3223 through this beautiful part of the moor until you reach Simonsbath.
- Stay on the B3223 following signs to Exford.
- In Simonsbath, at the junction, turn right on to the B2234 heading to Exford. Once in Exford you may want to take some time, there are some lovely pubs here.
- To continue your journey, turn left at the Crown Hotel on to Park Street, continue on Park Street to become Edgecott Road.
- Follow Edgecott Road until it becomes Mill Lane and continue driving, follow signs for Porlock / Cloutsham and keep driving enjoying the scenery until you reach the A39.
Once you reached the A39 you can either turn right to Porlock / Porlock Weir and Minehead, or you can head back to Lynton by turning left.
Return Via A39
If you’re heading back to Lynton the most direct route home is the A39 all the way back to Lynmouth / Lynton, signposted to Countisbury / Lynmouth.
Alternatively, you could drive back through Malmsmead which is a longer drive, but very pretty.
Return Via Malmsmead, then A39
- Turn left on to the A39 and head towards Lynmouth, signposted Countisbury / Lynmouth.
- Take the next available left turn (on a tarmac road), to Hookway Hill, this is a narrower lane than the A39, so take car.
- Continue driving along Hookway Hill crossing over Robbers Bridge. This is a cute spot to stop and take photos. Robbers Bridge is an old masonry arch bridge, with its name taken from legends of bandits and features in Lorna Doone.
- Keep driving on, through Oare and on to Malmsmead.
- On arriving in Malmsmead you will see both a bridge and ford in front of you. On the right after the bridge/ford is a delightful tea shop with pretty gardens by the river. Drive through the ford, or over the bridge (depending on the depth of the river).
- At this point, either,
A/ Follow the road ahead, this is now Leeford Lane and will take you through to Brendon.
B/ Turn left on to Post Lane, please note that although pretty this road is rather narrow. Take the next available right turn, towards Brendon, Lynmouth & Lynton.
Once in Brendon you can follow any of the signs back to A39, Lynmouth or Lynton.
Return Via Malmsmead, via Hillsford Bridge
Alternatively, if you choose to carry on straight, through Rockford, you will pass two pubs, these are both great options for food and drinks.
1) The Staghunters
2) The Rockford Inn
If you continue driving on through Rockford will bring you back to Lynmouth via Watersmeet or Lynton via Barbook at Hillsford Bridge.
- CATEGORY Scenic Drives