History of Highcliffe House
Highcliffe House, originally called The Rookery, was built circa 1880 by a reputable Victorian architect/engineer, Bob Jones. Bob built the Lynton Town Hall and the famous water powered Cliff Railway. The house was originally used as a summer residence. Highcliffe has a commanding position within walking distance of the town. The house offers stunning sea views across the North Devon coastline. Every room that will take your breath away
The 1891 census records a retired Major General John Charley lived in residence with his wife Mary and 6-month-old son. It was reported that there were three servants, a nurse, a housemaid and a cook.
The Major had a distinguished military career. He served with the 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles in the Afghan war from October 1878 to February 1880. The General took part in the advance and occupation of Kandahar and Khelat-i-Ghilizie.
In the Early part of the 1900’s the house passed to a religious charity who ran it as a retreat for Christian workers. At some point after the great wars, a chalet block and common room were added to the area that is now the drive. These additions to Highcliffe (or the Rookery as it was then) were actually very unsightly, and they were removed by the owner on Highcliffe in 1996. It was at this time when the main car park was constructed.
Over many years, from a home, to retreat, to hotel, to B&B – Highcliffe House has become established as one of the best boutique B&B's in Lynton.
Neal and Jason fell for the charms of Highcliffe House in 2015. In 2016 they became the proud owners and custodians of this majestic house with its spectacular views and centuries of history.
We made a return trip to Highcliffe House for our wedding anniversary. We wanted to know whether the high standards from our previous stay had been maintained! We are delighted to say that they have and have even been surpassed! We were welcomed as friends...More